Sunday, August 22, 2010

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue

0
.
..
...
....
. . . . .

...Hi.

It's been a while. Don't judge. As many of my friends can attest to, I'm rather prone to "temporal blackouts". Which they would also say is a clever way of saying laziness. You pick. I don't care.

Now that I've returned, I plan on posting a few more times at least until school starts again. Luckily for you pop-culture-lovers out there, lots of my summer vacation involved movies, television, music, and anything in between.

Therefore, I'd like to dedicate this first "new" post to my new favorite show. This summer, I affirmed my love for the Doctor. Who is the Doctor, you may ask? Well, I think Charlie McDonald AKA charlieissocoollike (who, coincidentally, happens to be one of my favorite Youtubers) clearly explains the awesomeness of the Doctor in the video below:



Originally, I started watching Doctor Who in its third Series and accordingly, I became partial to the magnificent David Tennant and Freema Agyeman (who was apparently hated when she first took over as the Doctor's companion). This summer, however, I went back and watched the first and second series (since the 2005 return of the show) and realized why people were so apprehensive towards Agyeman. She had the difficult task of replacing the gorgeous Billie Piper (who, after watching all of the post-return episodes, has definitely become my favorite companion). Tenant and Piper can be seen below:


Earlier this year marked the arrival of Matt Smith as the new Doctor. I, myself, had serious doubts about the man who was to replace the best Doctor ever (according to me as well as any self-respecting Dalek-fearing Whovian). Fortunately, Matt Smith did a great job as the new Doctor (though nowhere near the greatness of Tenant) and delivered a solid series.


Smith, however, had the misfortune of having to deal with a fantastic scene-stealer in the form of Karen Gillan whose performance as the lovable and utterly charming Amy Pond stood out as the best thing about the fifth Series. Amy Pond is, personally, the closest a Doctor Who companion has come to perfection since Piper's Rose.



But enough about Doctor Who. I've obviously been plugging the show this entire time. But, its for good reason. Not only does DW deliver clever sci-fi adventures, it combines such adventures with lots of heart, great acting, and fantastic storytelling. But don't just take my word for it. Check it out for yourself! :)

Oh and before I go, I'd like to plug what I believe to be the best two albums of this summer. The first is Kylie Minogue's Aphrodite. Which is the best pop/dance album I've heard since The Fame Monster. Combining club beats with delicious hooks and notes that make you want to get down with your bad self, Minogue truly outdid herself.

Below is one of my favorite songs off of Aphrodite. Enjoy:



The second album is Night Work by the Scissor Sisters. Although quite similar to Minogue's album, Night Work (as the title may suggest is a tad...oh let's face it, A LOT naughtier) and draws from 70's funk music to present a unique pop/dance/disco fusion unlike anything you've likely ever heard. And although Night Work tends to be sex-heavy (though since when was that ever a problem?), it knows how campy and rather comical its being. And for that reason, the Scissor Sisters pulled off a fantastic, hip, and clever album.

Check out the new Scissor Sisters single "Any Which Way" below:



Check those two out albums if you're into dance/pop music as you probably won't be disappointed.

Well, that's all for today, keep checking back for upcoming posts! Take care peeps!

Laytaz,

The Guy in the (Not-so) Horn-Rimmed Glasses

No Response to "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue"

Post a Comment